Every year the Tarn-X comes out. I curse the fact that I ever bought these stupid Santa stocking holders from Pottery Barn. I dig for gloves and cotton balls and stand in the kitchen and rub, rub, rub. And say never again, this is the LAST year, but then they just turn out so pretty.

Every year the tub of Christmas books comes out and of course the FAVORITE from the previous year is the one missing. They fight about what book we're reading every night, no matter that I have them draw the titles from a jar. Because half the time, I put the title back and tell them to draw again. Yes, it might be my fault that I have 17 different versions of The Night Before Christmas, but I don't necessarily want to read them all.
Every year, we paint their handprints to add to the tree skirt and I holler after them the whole way down the hall, "Do not touch anything!!" They do.
Every year, they decorate the tree in two minutes flat and I now have absolutely no say so in where any ornament goes. But next year, I'm hoping there will be a second tree and maybe then I can at least hang the angel ornament from when I was a baby.
And then I try to get a decent picture of them in front of the tree. Which is never, ever gonna happen. So I choose to let them act stupid, they seem to do that well.
We've added a few more
And not quite as effective as last year. But sometimes the threats still work. Of course I still manage to wake in a sweat around 3am when I realize I forgot to move the damn elf!

I'm a glutton for punishment. I am bound and determined to be able to keep a stupid grasshead alive. Although Santa is looking a little doomed right from the get go. At least these guys are seasonal so it won't be too traumatic when I kill them.
Of course there are many more. The yearly fight with the banister and the garland. The yearly fight with the hubs to get lights in the yard. The trips to multiple grocery stores to find Borden Egg Nog, the rich recipe, because I'm a snob and that's all I'll drink. Making sure that everyone has the same exact number of gifts to open because you know they are counting. Trying to remember who's turn it is to put the ornament on the advent tree. Fitting two of the girls' birthdays into the mix. And don't even get me started on trying to take the Christmas card photo.
Which is why, every year, the best gift, is the gift certificate to the spa.


11 comments:
A gift certificate sounds perfect!
I love the picture of the girls in front of the tree. It's perfect.
cute pics!!!! Remind me to never buy anything silver. And we have an elf just like that!
I have been over stressed this year and vow next year will be better (and if you believe that then I have some ocean front property in Arizona.
A gift certificate to the spa...priceless!
I love, love, love the handprint idea! Too cute!
Don't stress darlin' ;-) Easy for me to say.
That picture is going to be an absolute treasure to you in years to come ;-) You know, when they're in their 30's
My mom has an elf just like that!!!
I think every mother deserves a gift certificate to the spa for Christmas. The perfect gift! :)
Ahhh. Spa...ahhh. I'm sorry the Elf is not doing as well, and I pity you the silver cleaning. But, I adore the handprint idea. SO smart. Pls. try to stop by my place tomorrow.
Girl! Those stocking hangers are too cute! They have to be worth the effort!!!
The silver polishing clothes work really well too.
Annoying as you may find some of them, it sounds like you guys have some wonderful family holiday traditions. I can't wait until MJ is old enough to appreciate that sort of thing. :)
This is why we go to Grandma's!
Oh yes. The spa gift certificate is always golden :)
Poor Santa! He looks like he may need a comb-over ;)
Post a Comment