Monday, December 29, 2008

Every now and then, I cram a little culture down their throats

Last night we took the girls to yet another musical event. But this was unlike anything we had ever seen before.

Fans were dressed in black leather boots, long black coats with big silver buckles, heavy black eyeliner. And that was just the men. They pumped their fists in the air and yelled at the dueling electric guitars.

The lighting and set was the most spectacular I had ever seen. There were lasers, smoke machines, pyrotechnics, snow, and fire. Lots and lots of fire. It's a miracle that none of the long flowing locks of the musicians went up in flames.

So where did you take these sweet girls of yours Amy? Metallica?

Umm no. Did I mention that everyone on stage was in either a formal black dress or tux with tails?

We saw the Trans Siberian Orchestra and words really can not describe it. I had no idea what they were all about, just was looking forward to night out with the family. But now, I think I could totally get on board with this whole rock orchestra thing. I'm not sure that anyone else could go from playing Silent Night to Kashmir to Charlie Brown to Canon in D.

I'm not going to lie. It was a little weird. But I'm thinking I like weird. The girls seemed to like weird. And lord knows it's a far cry from the Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers shows that we are used to.

I'm really hoping that Abby's orchestra teacher doesn't send me a note about her either twirling her bow or banging her head while rocking out to Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star on the violin. Oh, it's totally possible. We saw it.

And I'm not so sure that I'm ever going to get the girls, or myself, to the old fashioned boring symphony. EVER. Although, Kathryn might go and she still would probably do this...



But maybe without the hands. She wasn't so much a fan of the electric guitars. Then again, she's still a little young for culture.

8 comments:

Katie said...

WOW, what a fun experience for your girlies!! :)

Momisodes said...

Wow! Sounds like an awesome time. I'm off to go check out their site.

LOL at the pic :)

Kat said...

I know I've said this to you before, but you are just the COOLEST mom!

Rhea said...

I've wanted to see them. I've heard their commercials on the radio and the music sounds so exciting. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

I love the TSO music!! How cool you got to see them in person!!! And that picture of baby girl is just adorable!

Momo Fali said...

My ten year old daughter asked my husband to download Metallica to her new iPod. God help me. I would love a little TSO right now!

April said...

That sounds very cool!
I may have been a vocal music major and sang cantatas and the like in high school, but I still hate the opera.

Dreams and Designs said...

SOuds awesome, I have always wanted to see them! Well, them and Metallica too.

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.