Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Christmas Comes Early

Today is gorgeous. It's a nice, beautiful 76 degrees outside, the sun is shining. it's the kind of day that those of us here in Houston have been waiting and waiting for...and I'm not getting to enjoy it. Why? Because I'm stuck at home, indoors, with Kathryn.

Oh yes, while I was finally adapting to the idea that this no kids at home thing really isn't all that bad, one of them needs to stay home. For days. With flu. Which isn't supposed to hit these parts til at least October. But much like how Hobby Lobby was more than 50 percent stocked for Christmas in August...flu season came early.

And I can't even get the satisfaction of saying that she has swine flu because you know that I would love to be all caught up in the frenzy that swine flu is. No, the doctor told us that it most likely could be, but wasn't going to test for that particular strain, because honestly, flu is flu. Which is what I've been saying all along.

So we leave the doctor, prescription in hand for the miracle drug that is Tamiflu. The miracle is in finding it. Because it is not available ANYWHERE! Well at least not for those who are incapable of swallowing horse pills, which Kat would qualify as. But it wasn't necessarily her that I was wanting it for. I was wanting it for those in the house who did NOT have flu. Especially the one who has trouble breathing normally on a typical fall day. So between Steven and I, we had hit up at least 50 pharmacies by phone or car looking for it. Note to drug dealers: Drop your crack and heroin, Tamiflu will make you millions.

Eventually I called my friendly neighborhood pharmacist for the 3rd time. And she felt the need to tell me yet again that she didn't have it. Which I knew. But I also knew that she had gone to school and gotten a degree for something other than pulling a lever and counting out pills so could she please just compound the damn prescription for me? Which she did. For a hefty uninsured price of you don't even want to know.

After that debacle of a day, I was looking forward to coming home to a clean house, Maria was here. As soon as I walked in she let me know that she had cleaned my kitchen table because it was very, very dirty. Which I found odd, because we're not pigs, we do wipe that sucker down daily. But yes, it was so dirty that she scrubbed it clean. Scrubbed the whole layer of stain right off. Yeah it wasn't dirty... At least not any dirtier than it's been for the well over a year that she's been cleaning it.

So needless to say, it was a day of a big case of suck. And today I was looking forward to getting things done around the house since I was going nowhere and I just knew that Kathryn was going to be sleeping, or at least still, because that's typically what people with the flu do. In fact I was contemplating giving her one of her Christmas presents early, the very coveted Snuggie stashed away in my closet. Only purchased because it was so coveted, I think one could just turn their bathrobe around and get the same effect. But I was going to let her have it on the couch with some juice and some teddy bears and an all day marathon of Disney Channel while she was wallowing in the misery known as the flu.

Didn't happen. I have a human monkey. Jumping from wall to wall, climbing up bookcases, requesting nourishment every 5 minutes and doing everything but sleeping and being still.
I think I may never complain about missing my girls and being lonely while they're in school ever again.

And I think between glasses, drugs and a kitchen table...Christmas might be screwed. At least there's a Snuggie...

1 comment:

Katie said...

YIKES, what a day!! Hope you have a better one today and that K is feeling better soon!!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.