Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ain't that a kick in the head?

Or so I thought...

Abby went to a slumber party the other night and as slumber parties usually go, there were pillow fights and tickle fights and someone's toe connected with Abby's right eye. Ouch. So a kick in the head, literally.

Days go by and Abby gets off the bus this afternoon not looking so hot. Her eye has been hurting and her vision is blurred and she decided to wait until today, the only day where I DON'T have somewhere that I NEED to be, to drop this news. So gone are my visions of lounging around the backyard with a good book while my munchkins swing and jump to their heart's content.

We go to get her examined and lo and behold there's nothing wrong with her at all. Other than the fact that she is far-sighted and has an astigmatism. And now needs glasses. Another one in glasses. Within two weeks.

Oh, did I forget to tell you? Princess joined the ranks of the four-eyes recently. You see she has only been telling me for over a year that she can't see. But I kept putting off taking her to the doctor. Because I'm a great mom like that. And then when I finally did take her, I felt even greater, because the girl is practically blind. So to appease my guilt, I let her get the pink Coach glasses. I mean if you have to wear them, they might as well be cute.



Abby, won't be getting Coach glasses. Which you know, isn't fair, because what's good enough for one is supposed to be good enough for the other. But I wasn't planning on any extra eyewear purchases. Other than that pair of Prada shades for moi. And you know, the big sister gets a little irritated when the little sister wants to be like her. And that trickles down...

Luckily, the little ones can see clearly. So says the absence of a note from the nurse after vision screening at the school last week. And thank goodness for that. Maybe now I can at least get a pair of Ray Bans...that is, if I stop getting kicked in the wallet.

8 comments:

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

Hey - welcome aboard the far-sighted-astigmatism train - Julia has been the conductor for about 2 1/2 years now. :) We JUST found out about the latter - the far sightedness was with strabismus...Ahh...and I am just waiting for me and Jack to be next...Both of my parents had glasses - and Steve too...Can't say I ever considered Coach for Julia...something about being five and having something that I wish was in WALLET FORM in my purse...:) But then again - she was happy to be able to SEE...She doesn't know about "brand names" yet...And I emphasize YET...

Stephanie said...

Well I have to say..those are some pretty darn cute glasses!!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

The glasses do look very cute on her;)

The Daily Stroll said...

Cute glasses! You are a good Mommy!

Kat said...

Oh man! That is a kick in the head. Er. Wallet. Whatever.

V cute glasses. :)

Narci D said...

Yeah, I was blind growing up, but my mom wasn't as nice as you. I had the horrible, huge plastic frames, because she thought they framed my eyes better and because my vision was so bad. I switched to contacts in the 7th grade, but I recently needed glasses for the first time, and I bought the tiniest, cutest, most expensive glasses I could find. Of course, I can't see worth a dang out of them, but I love them. Love Alli's specs and I am sure Abby will look just as cute in hers!

Burgh Baby said...

Pink Coach glasses really do make many things all better. Really.

Anonymous said...

Get the prescription and head to xenni optical online. They're good, fast and prices range from $8-19 with cute frames.

$35-45 if you need something like ski goggles but even that isn't bad!!!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.