Thursday, March 26, 2009

But I'm not allowed to call him ugly

Even though I booked the trip way back in September, the girls didn't know that we were going until days before. And I am a person who has a really hard time keeping a secret. So I appeased myself by tormenting the girls for those months. Bringing up Disney at the dinner table, saying how I wished we could go, if only we had enough money. And having to just giggle when Emma and Kathryn were willing to offer up all contents of their piggy banks.

A few weeks before the trip we were at the mall and the girls of course wanted to wander around the Disney Store. And while there, Kathryn grabbed a stuffed Rhino. Rhino as in crazy, obsessed hamster fan of Bolt not African safari animal. She dragged Rhino all over the store and when she was told to put it back she threw the fit of all fits. Seriously, I mean the thing wasn't even that cute. But she needed it. So I told her that if we ever went to DisneyWorld I would buy her a Rhino, knowing full well we would be there soon.

The second our plane touched down in Orlando, she turned to me and asked if we could get her Rhino now. How is it children remember things like these but not how to perform the simple act of putting dirty clothes in the hamper?

I told her that as soon as we saw one, it was indeed a purchase. Except apparently there is no Rhino to be seen in the whole World. Well, other than this one...


She is in love with this dang hamster. I know. I had to wait in line for 45 minutes for her to see him. Time that could have been spent on the Tower of Terror. Or meeting Prince Caspian with Alli and Abby, I heard he was quite dreamy. Well I guess they did get to visit with some others...


I asked the "handler" if she knew where I might find a stuffed Rhino anywhere in the World. And she informed me that they weren't sold there, the only place you could get them was at the Disney Stores. UGH.

And then I had to promise that when we got home, I would go to the Disney Store and buy her a damn Rhino. Which is what I fully intended to do, until when I walked in to get one and there were none to be had. And I asked my friendly store manager where they were all hiding and was informed that they were sold out. Forever. And well that wasn't going to fly so I made him call every store in a 50 mile radius because I was on a mission. And I was pissed that he was wearing a casual red T-shirt and black pants and that when I worked at the Disney Store I had to wear a white button down shirt with a baby blue vest and black culottes and those God awful Hooters' waitress tights, but I'm not bitter and that's not why I only worked there for two weeks.

So I'm just going to say that after various phone calls to Disney merchandising and visiting the online store, there were none to be had. The manager told me they had a huge shipment of plush coming in soon and gave me his number to call up and harass him ask if any Rhinos were on the FedEx truck. But on a whim, I logged back onto the online store and not only was Rhino now there, he was on sale! Even though he's about one-third of the size of the one she wanted originally, screw it, I'll take it! And thinking that I would keep this too a secret until he showed up on our doorstep, I was busted when Kathryn snuck up behind me and squealed "RHINO" when she saw him on the screen.

But you know me, I've learned my lesson in the past. I bought two.

2 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

You are one mean momma to torment your girls like that...but it kinda makes me smile, too!

So glad you found a Rhino..wait, make that two Rhinos!

Kat said...

Wow. You are a good mama going through all that trouble. :)

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.