They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. That you don't know what you've got til it's gone. I tried to put those theories to the test. I failed.
I've been tired and irritated and unfocused and not happy and generally needing a break from everyone that I love so desperately in my house. It's because I love them so much that I knew I needed to get away. And so I did...to an awesome little resort with a few great friends. With a great big plan of doing absolutely nothing.
In the age of the cell phone...it's hard to get away.
I had no fewer than 13 texts from one kid about a possible health crisis. Another 15 or so texts and at least 5 phones calls pertaining to another one's massive migraine. I had to cancel my husband's dinner plans for him. I got updates on Kat's at bats and defensive plays from her t-ball game. And I got a few random messages from someone that very obviously snuck off with Daddy's phone and knows my speed dial location and just wanted to hear my voice.
All of this, does not equal a relaxing weekend away.
Though I did try. I sat by the pool for hours, sipping cocktails. I floated on the lazy river without having to worry about losing a child in the current. I basked in the sun, oh how I basked. I look like a half-boiled lobster because I forgot to flip...and maybe forgot to apply some SPF as well. Apparently my Grecian goddess skin is not what it used to be. I relaxed in the spa and got an awesome massage. I enjoyed good times with great friends, drank the champagne sent by my husband. I kicked butt at games and stayed up til all hours just talking and laughing.
But I also spent a good portion of my 46 hours away worrying about what was going on at home. Stressing about trying to call the doctor since Steven "misplaced" her migraine medication prescription while cleaning my truck. Stressing about another daughter going through some changes that she needed my help with. Stressing about what my little girls were going to look like on Sunday morning since I had forgotten to set out church clothes. Come to find out, they looked exactly as they did last Sunday morning. And also thinking how fun it would be to bring the girls back one day.
Still I had a wonderful time and a much needed break. And when I pulled in the driveway to find that my family was not here awaiting my arrival, I was a little sad. But they more than made up for it when they got home 10 minutes later. Hugs and kisses and "Mom, I need..." and "Mom, can you..." and "I want to..." and the exploding faucet handle that flooded my powder room.
Back to life. Back to reality. And desperately searching the calendar for my next escape. When I will conveniently leave my cell phone behind.
Bulk purchase smoke 1775856595534-4
3 months ago


3 comments:
I am so glad you got away! I know it was desperately needed. I will have to look into that Quiddler game. It is ON when it comes to games with me. :) I don't know if I need to add another one to my list! If you liked it, though, I should give it a try!
Oh wow..cant a mom ever get a break?!?!
So glad you were able to get away, even if it was only physically..and not totally mentally!
On a side note, Eclipse is getting closer!!!! :)
It was a great little get away! And so nice to see you!
Post a Comment