Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Not So "Easy"

Our trip started early and way before bright at 5am. Many doubted I would hit the road at that time, including myself. But when I never even fell asleep because my mind was racing about everything that I knew I was forgetting, well it was easy to get up ;-)

Our drive went fairly well. Everyone was happily entertained with either a book or a DS. No peeping toms as we changed from jammies to clothes in the Cracker Barrel parking lot. And it only took them 20 minutes as opposed to an hour to decide on what candy they wanted. Although Kathryn did try to smuggle a Webkinz out... And the Valium deep breathing technique really helped me get over that 40+ mile bridge without commencing freakout. The Lifehammer was on the seat next to me though. Just in case.

We rolled into New Orleans, the Big Easy, pit stop number 1, super excited for our first adventure and it started to...rain. Now, we had just driven from Texas where we haven't experienced any water falling from the sky in what seemed like 23 years. And I had packed everything but the kitchen sink. And an umbrella.

Since I had already driven about 45 minutes out of my way we decided to wait it out. I mean I had promised my girls a tour of the French Quarter and they were so looking forward to it. It had nothing to do with that other thing that New Orleans was famous for...the snoball. They had no interest in those at all.

Finally the rain let up and we headed out towards Jackson Square.



And immediately got to dancing and grooving with some local cool cats.


And although we didn't get a beignet because one of those AND a snoball before another 4 hour leg in the car didn't seem like such a good idea, we did stop and pee in the world famous Cafe du Monde.


We set out on a horse drawn carriage tour of the French Quarter. Except it was a mule. And Abby was very sure to tell our driver that he was not fooling anyone by calling that thing a horse. Because apparently there is a difference.



We saw all sorts of fun things: Bourbon Street, the Cat's Meow, Jean Lafitte's hideout, and Nicholas Cage's house.


And then the tour was over and we asked our all-knowing New Orleans master to point us in the direction of the nearest snoball. And the direction he pointed was wrong. So we wandered and wandered and wandered. And finally popped into an ice cream shop, which wasn't good enough for them since I had promised snoballs, and found out that famous New Orleans snoballs are really few and far between and we needed to walk about 20 blocks up to the even sketchier part of town.

TAXI!!

When we finally got to wherever it was we were, I will admit, those snoballs were GOOD! And with the condensed milk on top, even BETTER! And the girls were happy. And the cab was waiting outside because I had no idea where we were and it didn't exactly look like a place that was gonna be easy to hail a new one. He only looked slightly annoyed when we got back in with blue snoballs.

Before we left, I made the girls stand in front of the mighty Mississippi and squint into the sun and show off their blue mouths. Because I'm a nice mom like that.



So Pit Stop #1 was a success. Not such an easy time in the Big Easy, but fun in the end. Obviously Kathryn agreed...


I mean isn't this how everyone looks after some time in New Orleans? ;-)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

New Orleans just does that to you everytime!! lol

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I love New Orleans.

Looks like a good time was had by all!

Kat said...

What a fun trip! Now I want to go!
I love that pic of you and the girls. Such pretty ladies! :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, New Orleans. Looks like the 5 of you had a great time. And, now I need a snow ball!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.