Friday, July 31, 2009

I want "More"

More of the Biltmore House that is.

Years and years ago, I saw a castle on TV. And I promised myself that one day I would go and see it. So here we are those years and years later and I decided that I was going to add an extra day and a few extra miles to our road trip to make that dream a reality. And I was so glad that I did!

The Biltmore was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!! And good thing too, because it was quite the undertaking with the brats to see it. When we pulled up on Thursday and got our tickets to tour the house, the moaning and groaning commenced. Seems that some of them can read now. And in the Visitor Center were maps and brochures about all the Biltmore Estate had to offer. Including a petting farm. So guess what they wanted to see?

"But girls, we drove all this way to see the castle."

"Mom, it's not even a real castle, there's no princesses living there. They all live in DisneyWorld!"
Yes I know, some of you are still waiting on pics from that trip.

"But girls..."

"We want to pet a goat."

So that's what we did. Petted coats and cuddled baby chicks and explored the second set of stables on the grounds. Made pom-pom sheep at the barn just like the privileged children of the early 1900s would have. Played some lawn games, watched a blacksmith and grumbled that Mom wasn't buying ice cream before dinner. And after all that fun we had a fancy meal on the grounds and I enjoyed a bottle glass of wine made right there.

The next day we toured the house and gardens. And wouldn't you know that the girls do not have the same appreciation for architecture and history that I do. That they weren't really all that impressed with all the woodwork and baseboards and tapestries and fireplaces...Well, they were interested in the fireplaces. In fact that's how I distracted them from the fact that we were touring numerous rooms on four floors and there were no elevators, we started to count fireplaces. But of the 65 fireplaces in the house, we only got to see 21. Because that's how ginormous this place is!!

So fireplaces and locating security cameras. Some of which were in the floor vents. I'm sure the guards got some good laughs at Krazy K's funny faces!

Some pictures...No indoor shots because "photography was not allowed".



We didn't have near enough time to see all I wanted to see. But I've dropped a hint that it would be a nice little weekend getaway, so maybe someday I'll get back there. I mean it's not the beach or Vegas or a sporting event, but someone could broaden their horizons a bit. Experience a little class and elegance. And if he gets bored, well, I'm sure he can stick his tongue out at some vents too ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waitt....you mean there are other things than beaches, Vegas and sporting events for weekend couples getaways....and YOU want to go?!?!

Leave something for the retirement age, Amy. That's when we will see the Grand Canyon.

Katie said...

WOW, now I want to go there, How absolutely beautiful!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

We've had friends go and I've heard it's breathtaking!

Kat said...

Oooo. I want to go TOO!!! And my hubby LOVES stuff like that. But maybe we'll save it for a time when the kids are not vacationing with us. ;)

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.