Monday, May 17, 2010

Not my girls...not ever



Let me tell you what...this is so not right.

I don't care if your little girl can dance like that, she shouldn't be dancing like that. When Alli and Abby were 8 and 9 they did numbers to Broadway tunes or Disney songs and it was cute and age appropriate. And in their recitals the TEENAGERS danced to Broadway tunes or Disney songs. These little girls are obviously talented, but they would be just as talented with another song, another routine and a little more clothing.

I understand that their parents must be thrilled with how good their daughters are. I get it, I do. Every time Emma swims a backstroke, I feel that. Everytime Kathryn hits a ball, I feel that. Everytime Abby races around a barrel, I feel that. And everytime Alli gets up on stage and sings, I feel that. But there is a difference between being proud of your little superstar and exploiting her.

I'm afraid for our daughters. In these times when their role models let them down (yes I'm talking about Miley Cyrus). When it's hard to find them a pair of shorts that will actually cover all parts and not have words like "cutie" or "sweet" splayed across the backside. When they start to gossip and back stab in the 2nd grade! When they are getting highlights and manis and pedis before they enter middle school. When parents are buying daughters "boob jobs" for graduation presents. When every teen magazine is telling them "how to get the guy". When 1 out of every 4 girls has an eating disorder because the perfect body is that 5'10", 110 pound airbrushed supermodel. When popular tv shows say that's its okay to hop from one person's bed to the next...in high school.

The messages we as a society are sending to our daughters...are unacceptable. I'm hot. I'm ticked off. I'm not perfect. But I tell you what, my children dress appropriately. My children eat mostly healthy. We do not use the "f"at word in this house. No one wears makeup until they are 13 and only then after a trip to the Clinique counter to learn how to apply it tastefully and naturally. And we do not watch an episode of Gossip Girl without discussing how entirely unrealistic and unacceptable that behavior is.

I like to think I am doing a good job. But I know that I could be doing better. A lot better. But the point is, I'm trying. I'm trying to raise respectable, smart, beautiful inside and out Christian young ladies. Which is why you will never see my girls dancing like that...even if they could.

I choose to let my little girls be little girls. For as long as they can be. And there's nothing wrong with that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy- what killed me with this video is all the baggage behind it. These girls share the same dance moves, the same outfit, same hair cut, same height and same overall size. I am sure they are allowed the same number of calories a day as well. Their parents were on GMA and they looked like idiots. Would it really have been a stretch to put them in something that covered their belly? Or take out a few of the pelvic grinds? Would it? Beyonce had more covered in her video than these girls do.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Wow! The air humping....the scantily clan 7 year old! I can't believe any parents would think that's a good idea.

Those dance moves are only a pole away from stripper moves (not that I would really know, but I can only imagine).

That is just terrible.

And, the audience cheering? I'd have to say it's disgusting.

In high school dance we were never allowed nor wanted to do anything like that. And, we always had to be covered up!

Stephanie said...

I heard about this. But until I saw it on your post I had never watched the video. I'm ashamed at these girls parents. I'm sad for these girls. This will NEVER be my daughter. I'm appalled.

Kat said...

Oh man. This just makes me sick to my stomach.
I just don't have the words right now. It is just sick.

Stephanie said...

No, there is NOTHING wrong with you wanting them to be little. When I saw that video at work, my jaw dropped! How tasteless of those parents!!
You are doing a fine job!!! Keep it up!

On another note..see you next month!!! I cant wait!!

Rachel said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Amen sister! When I saw this one it left me speechless!

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.