Well at least Emma was nice enough to do it in the very fancy lobby of the very fancy medical building, where had they had signs directing people towards the bathroom, we might have spared the janitor some grief. But they didn't and I'm sure it wasn't the first or last time it's happened there. I took her to the doctor to verify that yes, once again, she had strep. Seriously, it might as well just take up permanent residence in her throat. And we should just be provided with a lifelong supply of amoxicillin and save us, the doctor and the pharmacist a lot of time in the future. I will thank my sweet little girl for making it all the other times into the small trash can provided at arms' reach. Sure made clean-up a lot easier.
Since she was sick, she missed the first swim meet of the season...and was none too happy about that. She was bouncing off the walls since she already had a few doses of medicine and was raring to go and while I thought she probably could have done it, the doctor had said no and I who rarely listen to the advice of others, decided that Emma would be staying out of the water.
But Kathryn, she swam in her first meet ever and was SO excited! Of course it was just a few short hours after her last softball game of the season. While she has been hitting off the tee pretty well all year, she connected with a coach pitch and spanked the ball down the third base line. It was a beautiful thing and almost brought me to tears to know that I finally have a ball-player. And at the meet, she swam like a little fish. Kathryn is starting swim team a year earlier than Emma did and her times were faster than what Emma did at her very first meet. But we are not gonna tell big sister this, because I deal with enough sibling rivalry already.
On a completely selfish note, we were a wee bit happy that Emma didn't swim. Because Saturday was our anniversary. 11 years of mostly wedded bliss. And we were pretty convinced that we weren't going to be able to celebrate since the meet wasn't scheduled to end until 9pm and Emma was scheduled to swim in the very last event. But we hightailed it out of there as soon as Kathryn was done and made it home at 7. We were hot and tired and sweaty and determined.
We took full advantage of our built-in babysitters and went to this fabulous French restaurant and had an amazing meal and some great conversation. And while I can't remember the last time I ate a meal at 9:30, it was fine, because that's how the Europeans do it. And the owner looked exactly like Gilles Marini so I wasn't in any hurry to leave. And our waiter recommended about 15 new apps to download on my new phone. It was a wonderful end to a busy day.
After church on Sunday, the girls took me to my favorite restaurant for Mother's Day. Along with everyone is the greater Houston area. I didn't mind the wait as I was still digesting the meal from the night before. And now I am quite certain that I don't have to eat for a month.

When we got home, I took a nap while they did laundry. It was the best gift ever! Steven and I decided to once again take advantage of the teens and go see Iron Man 2. The past few years we've seen a cheesy action blockbuster on our anniversary and since we didn't have time on Saturday we scooted on out. I am, after all these years, beginning to realize that sometimes my over-analytical husband sure does suck the fun out of some movies. I mean, if he's going to complain about how one character's fight scene was completely unrealistic, let's address the fact that realistically no one would be walking around with a core of some rare element in their chest to replace their missing heart, not to mention throw on a superhero suit every so often. If I want reality, I'd watch Real Housewives of....oh never mind.
On the way home, I got a text from Alli that Abby had barfed in the playroom and Alli had done her best to clean it up. I let Steven know that he was going to have to finish that job since I already had my fair share of vomit and really, we all know it's the one part of motherhood that I can't handle. After eliciting advice on Facebook, Alli had actually done a decent job, even if she did use the good towels.
The way I figure, it was great training for what's to come in her life. She'll make a great mother one day. She really already does. She was folding clothes as we left earlier that evening, she fixes their hair in the mornings, she will tuck me in with an extra blanket if I'm cold and I guarantee that if she could drive, she would get all the grocery shopping done. In fact, she's fabulous, I really should just let her do more around here...she's so much better than me sometimes.
Anyway, after getting way off topic, but lucky you, you now know every minute of our weekend...I have a sick kid at home. I sure hope no one tackles the challenge of the severed limb...


1 comment:
Such a beautiful family!!!
Post a Comment