Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Emma and Kat's Baptism

On Sunday, we baptized Emma and Kathryn. Finally. It was a wonderful day, we were surrounded by family and friends, the girls were excited, dolled up in new dresses (as was I), ready to take their faith one step further. Emma had been asking for months to have it done. Kathryn, well she was Kathryn.

I have talked to the girls often about what baptism actually means. And Emma got it. Our pastor called one night to speak with me and gave me some words to explain things a little better to Kathryn. And one night while I was talking about it and she "got it", I asked if she was excited. And she said no. So I asked why. And she told me that she didn't want to get her hair wet.

So I stuck my hand in my water glass, flicked a few drops of water on her head and said that's all it would be. And she was fine with that. And I asked again, if she was excited. And she told me she didn't need to get baptized because I had just done it. And I walked away shaking my head not knowing what I am going to do with that girl.

So the big day arrived and we went to the front of the church and the pastors started to talk and asked the girls if they understood what was going on. If they wanted to be baptized or if their parents were just making them do it...and Kathryn shrugged her shoulders and the whole congregation laughed. And actually threw the pastor...for a moment. And I probably turned the reddest I've ever been.



But things settled down...




Our family is growing in our faith and it is a wonderful thing!!



So 3 down, 1 to go. Abby will do the deed in May when she is confirmed. I'm thinking she'll definitely have an idea of what's going on after all those classes. And that is sure to be another wonderful day.

4 comments:

Katie said...

How wonderful for your sweet family! Great pics! That was just too funny about Miss Kat ;)

Unknown said...

That is so funny! It is so sweet to read about your girls taking their faith one step further. By the way, I LOVE your dress! You look beautiful! :)

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I am so very happy for your precious family - and so proud for you as a mommy...You are setting the girls up for the most important journey of their lives! ;) LOVE THAT AMY! :) I think that is why we as Catholics sprinkle upon birth instead - so the voice/sounds/gestures made are only cries! :) HAHAHAHA

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Congratulations...what a special day for all of you!

PS You look fab, too.

 
Blog Masthead Design by JudithShakes Designs.